Saturday, October 23, 2010

Contentment





1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1Ti 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
Contentment is...
Realizing that God has provided everything I need for my present and future happiness.
(IBLP)
One of the best examples is Fanny Crosby. At age eight, she wrote:
Oh, what a happy child I am,
Although I cannot see!
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be.
I have an illustration that fits 1Timothy 6:7 perfectly. "For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain that we can carry nothing out."
A man once complained to God about how he could bring nothing to heaven. He wanted to very badly, and pleaded and pleaded, until God said, "Alright... what ever you can fit into a black garbage bag can be taken in."
Happily, the man set about filling it, and spent the rest of his life accumulating gold to fill the bag.
Fianlly one day he died. When he arrived at the gates of heaven, two angels looked at his bag, and said: "Sorry, but God doesn't allow people to bring things into heaven."
The man then explained that God had given him special permission to bring this bag in. One of the angels checked with St. Peter to make sure, who only confirmed what the man said.
As they let the man in, they were very curious as to what could have been so important that they would want to bring it to heaven with them. So they asked if they could look in the bag.
They did, then turned to each other in astonishment. Finally, one of the angels sputtered, "You brought Pavement?!"
But the need for contentment is so real! I'm always wanting more, more, more!!! I have clothes on my back, shoes on my feet, food in the pantry, a roof over my head, a Dad to work to pay for our food, a mom to cook, clean, and teach us, and little sisters and brothers.
My closet is full of clothes and shoes. The pantry and freezers are well stocked. My Dad has a good job. My Mom teaches us. I live in America. I have everything I need....



When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Refrain

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Refrain

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

Refrain

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

(Italics mine)

I love this hymn- one of my favorites!!! I especially like the third and fifth verse! I also love the story behind it!

No comments: