Saturday, March 20, 2010

Why did Jesus say, "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Matthew 27:46: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabacthani, that is to say, My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
**The Jews knew scripture well- especially the Psalms. When they sang, they sang Psalms. And if someone started the first part of a chapter, say Psalm 23, they, in their minds would automatically start repeating it. So if you said, "The Lord is my shepherd" they would think "I shall not want. He maketh..." and so on. **
"My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me" is the first verse of Psalm 22. And Psalm 22 is a messianic Psalm. (Note: The pink is the Psalms, and the blue is a verse from the NT that shows that the prophecy was fulfilled.)

Psa 22:7-8 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
(8) He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
Mat 27:42-43 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.
(43) He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.
Doesn't that sound familiar??? How about this:
Psa 22:15-18 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
(16) For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
(17) I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
(18) They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
Mat 27:34-35 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.
(35) And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.
Psa 22:26-27 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
(27) All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
I am really just letting the verses do "all the talking." But Psalm 22 is a very powerful prophecy, and when he said that, the Jews thought of the rest of the chapter- thus making them think of the prophecies in that chapter- and seeing them fulfilled right before their eyes!!!

"Psa 22:31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this."
I am so glad that I was declared his righteousness- and that he hath done this!!!

~Ashlyn

2 comments:

debra said...

Like this.

debra said...

Okay girls....I've read about the snow dogs and the other stuff --- let's get some new posts... Gma.